The International Society of Geriatric Oncology, or Société Internationale d’Oncologie Gériatrique in French, hence the acronym SIOG, was founded in 2000 and was officially registered as a Not-for-profit organisation under the Swiss law in October 2012. SIOG is a multidisciplinary society, including physicians in the fields of oncology and geriatrics, and allied health professionals and has over 1000 members in more than 40 countries around the world.
The major risk factor for cancer is age, and with the aging of the world population, a major epidemiologic challenge is before us.
Mission & Vision
The goal of SIOG is to foster the development of health professionals in the field of geriatric oncology, in order to optimize treatment of older adults with cancer.
SIOG promotes efforts in 3 strategic directions:
- Disseminate knowledge in order to maintain a high common standard of healthcare in older cancer patients
- Integrate geriatric oncology in the curricula for medical and nursing education to ensure a high standard of qualification for healthcare professionals
- Address the shortage of specialist oncologists/geriatricians & allied health staff in geriatric oncology
- Increase public awareness of the worldwide cancer in the elderly epidemic
2. Clinical practice
- Integrate geriatric evaluation (including comorbidities) into oncology decision-making and guidelines
- Improve the quality of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up of older patients with malignancies
- Address issues of access to care, including the needs of the caregiver
- Develop interdisciplinary geriatric oncology clinics
- Develop, test and disseminate easy screening tools
- Create a clear and operational definition of vulnerability/frailty applicable to oncology
- Increase the relevance of clinical trials for older patients
- Improve research in the field of geriatric oncology
- Promote multidisciplinary, basic/translational research on the interface of aging and cancer
The founding members were: Paul Calabresi, Matti Aapro, Lazzaro Repetto, Martine Extermann, John Bennett, Riccardo Audisio, Lodovico Balducci and Silvio Monfardini.
The SIOG Statutes were adopted in October 2012.
Please click here to download a copy.
Dr Paul Calabresi Award - for more information, click here.