The International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) National Representative is the bridge between the Society’s core and its members around the globe. As the Society's spokespersons in their national respective countries, National and Regional Representatives act as ambassadors of SIOG's mission, sharing the same values and pursuing the same objectives, in the joint effort to benefit the specialty of geriatric oncology on a national as well as international level. National Representatives are automatically part of the National Representatives and Membership Committee.
Why become a National Representative (NR)?
This is the challenge: the rapidly increasing population of elderly cancer patients! And it needs to be addressed at a national level too. Lobbying for more visibility of geriatric oncology as a specialty and encouraging cooperation between geriatricians and oncologists, as well as with other disciplines, are of utmost importance. SIOG NRs are key actors in raising awareness to improvements made in their country taking specificities of each health system into account. Establishing close collaboration with health authorities and developing concrete measures for a better recognition of cancer care in the elderly are achievable goals.
Want to become a SIOG National Representative?
You may have noticed that your own country has no appointed NR yet. If you feel interested in this position, please contact the chair of the Membership and National Representatives Committee, Dr. Anita O'Donovan, at
View the list of the current SIOG National Representatives.
- SIOG member (or willing to become one) – payment of membership dues within the first 3 months of the fiscal year.
- Recognized within the national oncology/geriatric community(ies)
- Active involvement in activities of national societies, oncology/geriatric institutions with the authority to report to and from these organisations
- Thorough understanding of national and regional issues, and how they influence and interact internationally
- Willingness to dedicate the necessary time to fulfill the role effectively and respond in a timely manner
- Must pay its annual membership fee for the current year within the first 3 months of the fiscal year
- is expected to attend the annual NR meeting during the SIOG annual conference or nominate a proxy to attend the meeting when possible
- Attend the SIOG General Assembly
- Respond quickly to SIOG secretariat and governance correspondence
- Commitment on annual basis, approx. 2-3 full working days
- Liaison between SIOG and national interests also in the relationship with experts, politicians, health authorities, media, and patient advocacy groups.
- Provide key information about your country or region (e.g. through surveys)
- General information about the National Society
- Details about national young oncologist/geriatricians networks or groups
- Lists of national key cancer/geriatric centres
- Key facts about profession and education in their country or region
- Regularly update SIOG about national/regional activities, projects and issues and in turn inform national Societies/institutions and local communities about SIOG’s activities
- Must agree to provide SIOG with an update of geriatric oncology activities within their country/region four times a year in spirit of informing the geriatric oncology and communicate about activities in this field across the world. SIOG has decided to regularly report them in a newsletter that will be publish every quarter therefore it is requested to send a trimestral report on the following date every year: March 1, June 1, Sept 1 and Dec 1.
- Promote SIOG membership within their national societies and communities of oncologists and geriatricians – enroll a minimum of 3 members annually
- Support and encourage participation in SIOG events and activities and facilitate the dissemination of scientific knowledge
- Suggest activities within own country/region, in which SIOG can assist in order to strengthen collaboration; envisage the organization of a local SIOG symposia or SIOG workshops or a conference under the SIOG auspices
- Suggest topics and names of speakers for SIOG annual conference
- Ensure a proper handover at the end of your mandate.
Term of Service
- National Representatives will serve two years
- National Representatives may be reappointed.